- Decreasing the abortion rate is a worthy goal,
- Abortions have increased over the last four years for the first time in decades,
- Individual choice is a fundamental American value, including in medical care,
- Most states have already determined where they stand on the legality of abortion,
- The criminal justice system is highly ineffective at creating societal change (Prohibition, the drug war),
Here is my brainstorm on how we can decrease the number of abortions and encourage a life-honoring culture. These ideas can be enacted in both blue states and red, regardless of the current legal status of abortion.
- Offer hormonal birth control over the counter.
- Provide sex-ed courses that emphasize contraceptives and consent.
- Review, reform, and improve enforcement of laws punishing non-consensual sex.
- Invest in research for improved birth control methods, particularly male birth control.
- Job security
- At least six weeks paid family leave for all employees.
- Prohibit discrimination based on pregnancy or parental status.
- Review and revise laws to ensure that fathers receive the same incentives to care for children that mothers do.
- Invest in maternal health centers in population centers with the worst maternal death rates.
- Maternal care funding for all women below a certain income level.
- Fund early childhood medical care.
- Set up a health commission for improving maternal health outcomes.
- Pass and fund a child payment plan (such as Senator Romney’s).
- Invest in childcare centers in low-income communities.
- Revise laws that may discourage multi-generational households, i.e. prohibit zoning laws and HOA rules that prohibit non-nuclear-family households.
- Expand public schools to include pre-k programs, including funding for new buildings and teachers
- Create incentives for school districts to increase teacher pay before investing in any other infrastructure.